Project: Developing and Managing the Knowledge Base for the Natural Resource and Sustainable Land Management in Ethiopia
Project Fund: WB (through MoANR)
Partners: MoANR (client)
Project Duration: 3 years (May, 2016- April 15 2019)
Goal and specific objectives of the project
The major goal of this project is to develop the NR/SLM knowledge base and SLM Knowledge Management system of the country under the Ethiopian Strategic Investment Framework (ESIF-SLM) to enable stakeholders make informed policy and development actions at different scales
- Develop/strengthen the NRM/SLM Knowledge Base (spatial and non-spatial) for the national SLM Program and SLMP-2 project sites in Ethiopia.
- Develop methods and approaches for assessing land degradation status and hotspot areas of the country (and SLMP-2 project sites) and develop the required database with maps
- Assess Land Use and Land Cover (LULC) status, and develop database with maps for the country and SLMP-2 project sites
- Provide proper quantification of available carbon stock in woody and leafy vegetation (in the Country and SLMP-2 project sites)
- Assess and map the country’s SLM coverage including SLMP-2 project sites and quantify the remaining land that requires SLM interventions
- Develop methodology to estimate carbon sequestration by the different interventions in different Agro-ecological zones (AEZs) and quantify carbon sequestration by different SLM practices (soil as well as biomass carbon) in SLMP-2 project sites.
- Conduct periodic performance assessment of SLM activities in SLMP watersheds
- Develop web-based interactive directory for 135 SLMP-2 watersheds
- Develop computerized SLM knowledge management platform for wider application
- Develop SLM knowledge management system
- Introduce and integrate exit-strategy and performance assessment (ESPA) approach for community watersheds and SLMP project sites to guide sustainability
- Design an up- and out-scaling strategies and guidelines for SLM including training on the guidelines and processes;
- Develop capacities of key stakeholders on the use of the knowledge base and the knowledge management system including the application of geo-spatial tools (federal, region and woreda), focusing on training and provision of some basic precision tools and software and exposure visits;
- Produce periodic and client-oriented synthesis outputs including info-graphs for different levels about performance of SLMP-2 project sites and the broader SLM/NRM Knowledge Base;
- Organize stakeholder forums for dissemination of outputs (at least once per year) and to discuss on key outstanding findings.